Our French curriculum aims:
- to instill a love of language learning and an awareness of other cultures
- to develop the confidence to communicate in French for practical purposes, using both written and spoken French
- to give pupils a foundation for language learning that encourages and enables them to apply their skills to learning further languages
- to facilitating future study and opening opportunities to study and work in other countries in the future
Click here for: Primary National Curriculum – Languages
Kapow French Curriculum
We follow the Kapow Primary French Curriculum and adapt this to suit the need of our school and our pupils. Through the French scheme, pupils are given opportunities to communicate for practical purposes around familiar subjects and routines. The scheme provides balanced opportunities for communication in both spoken and written French, although in Year 3 the focus is on developing oral skills, before incorporating written French in Year 4 and beyond. The scheme is a spiral curriculum, with key skills and vocabulary revisited repeatedly with increasing complexity, allowing pupils to revise and build on their previous learning. Cross-curricular links are included throughout the French units, allowing children to make connections and apply their language skills to other areas of their learning. Lessons incorporate a range of teaching strategies from independent tasks, paired and group work including role-play, language games and language detective work.
The Kapow Primary French scheme of work is designed with three knowledge strands that run throughout our units with knowledge building cumulatively:
This knowledge can then be applied within our skills strands, which also run throughout each unit in the scheme:
- Language comprehension (Listening and reading)
- Language production (Speaking and writing)
Click here for: French Long Term Plan 2023-2024
Click here for: French Substantive Knowledge 2023-2024
Click here for: Kapow French Progression Of Skills
We use summative assessment at the end of every lesson to track pupil progress against the lesson objective and success criteria. At the end of each topic, we also assess pupil progress with a low stakes quiz to gather topic based assessment information.